Sunday, May 15, 2011

Jonny Williams and Lynette Marie Live OB

Well it's been a while since I last put finger to keyboard, but what an exciting time it's been.
I've managed to see some great acts recently including Montana Ash, Spur and Dean Austin.


But, on April 27th, I was fortunate to host a Live outside broadcast from the Blazing Saddles Country and Western Music Club in Torquay. Riviera FM were granted the opportunity to run an RSL (Restricted Service Licence) from April 17th through to April 30th. It gave us the chance to broadcast to the Torbay region on Fm radio, and an opportunity that was very well taken. With a host of shows that appealed to a wide range of listeners and some very entertaining outside broadcasts along the way from Smashy and Nicey's OB outside the Brixham Heritage Museum through to the Royal Garden Party at Cary Park, Babbacombe, to celebrate the Royal Nuptials between William and Kate. The other shows included a live OB from the Inn on the Quay, Goodrington, a Karaoke contest from the Dog and Duck, and a talent show hosted by Guy Henderson from the Rainbow Club in Torquay, in which my daughter Chloe performed on stage for the very first time, doing us all proud, with her rendition of Soft Cells 'Tainted Love'.


For the live show from Blazing Saddles, we were blessed with a truly great live act in the form of Jonny Williams and his lovely partner Lynette Marie. The show was predominantly a live music show, interspersed with interviews and comment, and gave me the chance to introduce the members of the Blazing Saddles and country music in itself to a wider audience.

Like I say the live act were fantastic. Jonny has been on the circuit for a number of years and had built up quite a following, bringing his own style of traditional and modern country music. He performs music his way, and doesn't change his repertoire to suit the dancers, although there were still plenty of people getting up on the floor, so it proves he's got the balance right. Lynette Marie on the other hand has only been performing live for about four years now, but you would think she had been performing a lot longer, such is the standard of her singing and guitar playing. They have both been performing together since last year, and what a grand couple they make.

Performing tracks like Tiger by the tail, Jackson, Streets of Baltimore, Train Medley,She loved the hurt right out of me, Milwaukee, here I come, Each season Changes you, Golden Ring and Just between you an me and a long list of others, there was a selection to please just about everyone. One of the briefs I gave myself when I started on Riviera Fm, was that I wanted to open country music up to a wider audience and to counter that old saying 'I don't like country music', which is bandied about alot, and answer it with 'you do like country music, you just don't realise it'. Jonny and lynette definitely helped strengthen that answer, with a performance and a presence that was second to none.



During the breaks I got to interview Roger Bennett, the man who does a grand job organising and running the Blazing Saddles, finding out a little about what make him tick. Unfortunately, due to time restraints, I couldn't ask him as much as I would have liked, so there is a very good chance of getting him in the studio in the near future for a more in depth interview. I also got to talk to Jim, a club member with strong idea's about country, and love for the music whether it be the old or new stuff. I also got to chat to some of the younger members of the club, kids in their teens, who also have strong views on country, and I must say talking to them fills me with joy that country music has and always will have a strong hold in this country.

Jonny Williams and Lynette Marie.

I also got to talk to Jonny and Lynette, and I'm hoping to get a full interview with them later in the year.

But one of the questions I did ask, was whether they write their own music, and got the reply that they don't have a lot of time at present and struggle at times with inspiration. Although looking at their schedule, it's understandable. The night before they had to rush from Wales to Norfolk to perform at short notice then rush back to Torquay for that nights show, then onto a host of other venues during the next few days. It made me think of  'Six days on the road' and 'I've been everywhere'. But I'm convinced we will hear some new stuff from them soon.


I did manage to get some feedback from various people about the show, and it all sounds very promising, so in the near future I'm hoping to let you all know what was said. However I would like to thank Roger and the members of Blazing Saddles for their hospitality, Jonny and Lynette for their performance and Gareth and Paul, the technical guys from Riviera FM for making the show possible.

Bye for now, but coming soon a write up on another evening at the club, and a performance by Kay D....








No comments:

Post a Comment